Saturday, March 24, 2012

An Imperative I Can't Ignore


“I command you—be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  (Joshua 1:9 NLT)

While staring at the blank intimidating screen, my heart sank with discouragement.  “This is too hard, Lord,” I thought as I typed and deleted countless words.  One little comment from a critique to make my words more lively had crushed my spirit, and I didn’t want to continue any more.  You would have thought I was facing a whole army of terrifying Orcs by the way I fretted.  The longer I sat and stared at my computer, the more fearful I became.  It’s ridiculous I know, but then again fear and discouragement don’t always make sense.  For days I waited for the Lord to say, “It’s okay, Amy, you don’t have to do this anymore if you don’t want to.”  Instead, He said, “Be strong and courageous.”

Discouragement is debilitating.  Once my mind starts feeding on negative thoughts, I’m wasted.  Nothing profitable comes forth when despair takes over. Maybe that’s why the Lord gave this command.  He didn’t say to Joshua to try not to be afraid or discouraged.  He said, “Don’t be!”  Imperatives hold a lot of weight.  God knew the giants that would be encountered along the way.  It was a life or death matter.  There was no room for fear and despair.  However, the command wasn’t the last word spoken.  The Lord went on to promise Joshua he would not be alone.  We cannot muster strength and courage on our own.  It is only by God’s grace and presence we can face the giants before us.

More of You, less of me is my prayer today.  May the Lord find me faithful to trust Him and obey no matter what lies before me.

Whatever Orcs you are facing, be strong and courageous dear friends, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.


More of You, Less of me
Lyrics by: Amy 2001

Jesus, help me to live each day surrendered only to You
I can’t walk the way I want to
My body is weak and my mind is full
My feet stumble and my words they come out cruel
Jesus, help me to live each day surrendered only to You

(chorus)
More of You, less of me is what I pray
Help me abandon every wicked way
Take me Lord, break me Lord; I’m Yours today
More of You, less of me
More of You, less of me I pray

Jesus, help me to live each day surrendered only to You
I can’t think straight and I am confused
Doubt and fear, well they tend to get me down
The dark surrounds me and I feel like I might drown
Jesus, help me to each day surrendered only to You

(ending)
I can’t carry this burden, and I know You don’t want me to
You say, “Come unto Me; I will take care of you”
So here I am Lord, falling on my knees
Ready to surrender, wanting to be free
Here I am Lord, falling on my knees
Ready to surrender, wanting to be free





6 comments:

  1. Amy, I so enjoy reading your blogs. I think you choose your words with great insight, and I think they are plenty lively. The critique was wrong. I loved the song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Glenda. Critiques stretch me, but it's good. I want to be teachable. I'm learning that in writing, every word counts. :D

      Love you.

      Delete
  2. Amy,Thanks for being just as you are for your beautiful in Gods eyes and also to me. Thanks for your openess like a book for all to see. Jesus is big in you:)Love you Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus is mighty in YOU dear friend. Thank you for this encouragement. I love serving alongside you each week.

      Love you!

      Delete
  3. I was listening to this song just yesterday, and it still fills my heart now as it did when I first heard it years ago. Your heart is so beautiful Amy. I am always encouraged by the words you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture singing this song at ReaLity. One night stands out in particular. We were singing, and several including myself went forward to pray. Such sweet memories. Love you dear friend!

      Delete