Tuesday, April 24, 2012

God's Word Dispels the Darkness


My life dissolves and weeps itself away for heaviness; raise me up and strengthen me according to [the promises of] Your word.”     (Psalm 119:28 Amplified)

It was dark outside as I lay in bed staring at the ceiling.  I hadn’t slept much that night, so I longed to fall into a deep sleep, but instead I seemed to only fall into a pit of despair.  Anxious thoughts flooded my mind and worry gripped my heart.  With heaviness mounting, I lay in bed and wept. 

Deciding to fight sleep no more, I retreated to my chair in the corner of the room and opened my Bible. These are the very first words I read, “Don’t worry about a thing.” (1 Samuel 17:32)  I sat there and stared at the words.  I could hardly believe what I had just read.  Don’t worry about a thing!  Tears of joy started to flow freely down my cheeks.  God wasn’t chastising me (although He rightly could have).  Instead, He gently lifted me up and strengthened me with His word. 

I am so very thankful for the Bible.  Years ago, when depression plagued me, I pleaded with God to open my eyes to the truth.  Darkness abounded within, and I needed the Lord to set me free.  I had never been a student of His word, but I was determined to draw closer to God.  In order to really know His heart, I had to dig into the Scriptures.  As I did, I asked the Holy Spirit to teach me, which is a prayer He graciously answered and continues to answer.  I can’t really keep thoughts of fear and worry from coming into my mind, but I do have a choice what I will do with them.  So on that particular morning after a night of unrest, I chose to believe God’s word and not worry any more.  As I laid my cares at His feet, a peace settled deep into my heart because I knew He would be true to His word. 

Abba, I thank you for the Scriptures.  When darkness clouds my way, Your word always dispels the darkness.  As the Psalmists prayed, I too pray, Lord, teach me Your statutes.  Open my eyes to behold wonderful things in Your word, and may this craving for You and Your word never die. 

No comments:

Post a Comment