Friday, January 11, 2013

When Things Seem Wrong

Enoch lived sixty-five years, and became the father of Methuselah.  Then Enoch walked with God three hundred years after he became the father of Methuselah, and he had other sons and daughters. So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.  (Genesis 5:21-24)

Recently I attended a small group leaders meeting led by my husband.  We were challenged to embark upon the Enoch Revolution this year, which in a nutshell means to be dedicated and intentional in our pursuit of knowing and imitating Jesus. Not much is said in Scripture about Enoch, but we do know he walked with God. Interestingly, his very name's meaning revealed the kind of man he would grow up to be. Yet as I reflected upon this passage something struck me to be odd. Why did God take him up in his prime? Men were living to be over nine hundred years old, yet Enoch was taken at three hundred and sixty-five years old. His family must have grieved over this untimely loss. Wouldn’t it have been better for him to stay longer and walk out his faith before others?  Think of the people who would have been impacted by Enoch’s witness if he had lived another six hundred years. His being taken seemed to be out of place and a waste to me, yet the story reveals this was no mistake.  God, Himself, took him. The Almighty did not intend for Enoch to live longer in order to be a witness to others. Instead, it pleased God to take him and transform a walk of faith into sight. 

This small section of Scripture challenges me to live intentionally as I walk with God, but it also reveals to me the sovereignty of God. His infinite wisdom is far greater than my finite mind will ever be, and His timing is always perfect.  Will I trust Him this year when things happen that don’t make sense or seem out of place?  I want to because God is worthy of such trust!

Lord, I pray that 2013 would be marked with a deeper level of intimacy and trust in You.  When things seem all wrong, help me to walk with You and rest in Your sovereign plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment